Tenney Homestead

Stow, Massachusetts

Life Tenney's Home, c. 1920s - from Clara Endicott Sears' Days of Delusion (1924)
The First Period house, as it was in the 1920s under the care of Eliphalet Tenney — photo from Clara Endicott Sears's Days of Delusion (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1924).

Tenney House, Stow, Massachusetts, September 20, 1935
Tenney House on September 20, 1935 — photo by Harriette Merrifield Forbes. (Courtesy, American Antiquarian Society)

The homestead began as a colonial farming, pasturage, and woodland tract with dwelling house owned by the Holman family during the 18th century, the last being Cpl. Samuel Barnard (1747–1799), Jeremiah Holman's maternal grandson. Barnard, his wife Susanna Sargent (1750–1801), and their children removed to the township of Pepperell by 1780, selling the Stow titles to Eliphalet Tenney (1731–1813) and wife Eunice Boynton (1738–1816) of Newbury, Essex Co.

The property would then remain in the Tenney family for some one hundred and seventy-five years, inherited and farmed by Moody Tenney (1779–1848) and his wife Anna Bent (1780–1859), their son Jason Bent Tenney (1818–1856) and his wife Sarah Pillsbury (1819–1881), and their son Eliphalet "Life" Jason Tenney (1851–1933), the last of the named Tenneys to work the land. A nephew, George Jason Stow (1870–1952), bought the title from Eliphalet Tenney in 1931, and thereafter it was passed down to Stow's son, Basil Tenney Stow (1904–1965), who sold to owners outside the family in 1955.

 

Further Reading